Octogenarian Breaks Hip Exiting Hair Salon
Anne Marie Davidson v Marsha Farah, doing business as Park West Hair Salon 03L-4587
- Verdict: $300,000 v both Defendants ($100,000 past and future loss of normal life; $100,000 past and future pain & suffering; $40,000 disfigurement; $60,000 medical expenses)
- Judge: Thomas L. Hogan (IL Cook-Law)
- Pltf Atty: Charles A. Boyle for Keith L. Davidson of Charles A. Boyle & Associates
- Demand: $600,000
- Asked: : $1,200,000
- Deft Atty: Mark B. Ruda of Condon & Cook (Allstate)
- Offer: $475,000 total
- Pltf Medl: Dr. Scott Rubinstein (Orthopedist) and Gwen Brombie, P.T. (Physical Therapist)
Plaintiff had been a customer of Defendant hairdresser for more than 25 years. As Plaintiff F-87 was leaving Defendant's salon at 1920 N. Lincoln Ave. after having her hair done one day, she pulled on the door handle to exit the store and the handle came off in her hand, causing her to fall. Plaintiff sustained a fractured left hip requiring pinning, a second surgery after pins from first surgery migrated through hip joint into pelvis causing pain, and a third surgery to remove pins and replace them with screws due to painful protrusion of pins into skin tissue ($60,000medl. bills).
Defense admitted liability and medical bills, but contested non-economic damages. The Defendant testified via videotaped discovery deposition after passing out in the courtroom prior to jury selection, due to seizure and high blood pressure. Attorney Keith Davidson is Plaintiff's son; he assisted Charles "Pat" Boyle at trial from outside of courtroom.