Pete Schoonmaker is a Partner at Condon & Cook with 28 years of experience. His practice is devoted to representing insurance carriers with an emphasis on first party property coverage and litigation in both personal and commercial lines. A significant portion of his practice is devoted to SIU matters involving fraud and arson. Pete litigated the seminal Illinois decision on insurance fraud, Passero v. Allstate Insurance Company, at both the trial and appellate levels and has also been lead counsel in many significant Illinois appellate decisions.
Pete has authored many articles on both first party and third party insurance issues and has been a frequent speaker at many professional organizations and conferences, including the International Association of Special Investigative Units (IASIU), Property Loss Research Bureau (PLRB), and the Insurance Committee on Arson Control (ICAC). He is a frequent contributor to the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin on various insurance issues. He is also the counsel for the Illinois Chapter of IASIU.
- Chicago Kent College of Law (J.D. 1980) (with honors)
- University of Wisconsin (B.S. 1977)
- Illinois Supreme Court (1980)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (1980)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois (1998)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit (2002)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- National Society of Professional Insurance Investigators
- International Association of Special Investigative Units (Illinois Counsel)